Blog by VONNIE DAVIS -- International, Award-Winning Romance Author: Adventurous...Humorous...Amorous.

Sunday, February 27, 2011

THE KING'S SPEECH

I love Colin Firth's acting; his looks aren't bad either. But there is another, very personal reason why I truly hope both the movie, The King's Speech, and Colin Firth win Academy awards tonight.

The movie shares a special place in my heart. I've stuttered since the age of five. Finally a movie to explain the trauma, the tension, the humiliation, the helplessness of such a disorder.

I cried through-out most of the movie. Colin's portrayal of King George's affliction and struggles really hit home--hard. Even so, I wanted to stand up and applaud at movie's end.

As with so many handicaps, something positive came out of my stuttering and the taunting by my peers. I drew inward and started writing. You see, I never stuttered with a pencil in my hand. Words flowed quickly and effortlessly onto the page. No stammer there, just ideas and stories. For on the blank page, I was equal to everyone else.


No one knows for sure the reason for stuttering. Nor do they know a cure. My heart goes out to all children with this affliction--and to all the humiliation and bullying they will likely endure. May The King's Speech help to enlighten the public on the silent desperation of stutterers.    
                                                                


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thank you, Vonnie, for sharing. We all have some obstacle we must overcome in life. And look at all the awards this movie has received because the screenwriter was looking for an outlet to tell his story of stuttering -- remarkable! I have not seen the movie, but have heard many great things about it. Which means the screenwriter told the truth in all its grittiness, humiliation
and poignancy.

Oh, but there is hope for people who stutter! Mark did some work with a sweet lady named Denise Clapp at Lynchburg Speech Therapy who has done a remarkable job with people of all ages who have any type of speech problem.