Blog by VONNIE DAVIS -- International, Award-Winning Romance Author: Adventurous...Humorous...Amorous.

Monday, July 11, 2011

AUTHOR, JENNIFER JAKES --

Today my guest at Vintage Vonnie is historical author, Jennifer Jakes. A chronic insomniac, Jennifer got used to making up stories while she waited to fall asleep. She claims it was a lot more interesting than counting sheep. Maybe too interesting, because she started staying awake so she could figure out "what happened" to her characters. For the sake of her health, she began writing the stories on paper - during the day. So far it's working out pretty good.
What is your life like away from the computer? Tell us something about your household. Jazzie, my cat, wants to know if you have any kitty-pusses.
It’s a crazy, loud place. LOL Kids, animals – yes, we have a Calico named Callie Mae – four dogs and a horse!
What is your writing schedule like?
I have to really think about my characters and plot for awhile. Then I write about 3 chapters, then think some more to see if I’m headed in the right direction. I edit as I go, so none of that writing a quick first draft for me. I could never do NaNo. Anyway, all of that said to say I don’t have a hard and fast schedule. But I can say I write faster after I’m happy with the first 1/3 of the story.
Do you enter writing contests? If so, has this been a positive experience for you? I do. After I’d worked on my writing for awhile, I enter the Gateway to the Best contest in 2009. I won First Place/Historical and took Best Overall. That gave me the courage to enter the RWA Golden Heart. RAFE’S REDEMPTION finaled in the Historical category in 2010, and I sold to The Wild Rose Press six months later. So, yes, a very positive experience. 
Do you ever dream of writing in a different genre?
Genre, no. I’ll always be a Historical girl. But I do have an idea for a pirate story.  So a different sub-genre, yes.
What are you currently working on?
I’m so bad. I have 3 stories. An erotic western twist on a Fairy Tale. My novel set in Alaska during the 1898 Gold Rush and that Pirate Novella I mentioned.
For fun: Coffee or Tea?…. Coffee in the morning; Iced tea the rest of the day.
Favorite color?… Red.
Favorite TV show?... Burn Notice & Hawaii 5-0.
Favorite actor?... Alex O’Loughlin (‘cuz he’s so pretty to look at).
Well, yes, Jennifer, I see what you mean...hummm...oh, yeah, the questions...

Funny movies or tear jerkers?... Funny movies.
Sneakers, flip-flops or Alex feet? I mean, bare-feet ... Bare-feet.
Do you  listen to music when you write? ... Sometimes.


Suppose you tell us about your current release. Did you bring a blurb to share? Yes, a blurb and an excerpt I hope everyone will enjoy.
He rode into town to buy supplies, not a woman.

For hunted recluse Rafe McBride, the raven-haired beauty on the auction block  is exactly what he doesn't need. A dependent woman will be another clue his vengeful stepbrother can use to find and kill him. But Rafe's conscience won't let him leave another innocent's virginity to the riff-raff bidding. He buys her, promising to return her to St. Louis untouched. He only prays the impending blizzard holds off before her sultry beauty breaks his willpower.

She wanted freedom, not a lover.

Whisked to the auction block by her devious, gambling cousin, and then sold into the arms of a gorgeous stranger, outspoken artist Maggie Monroe isn't about to go meekly. Especially when the rugged mountain man looks like sin and danger rolled into one. But a blizzard and temptation thrust them together, and Maggie yearns to explore her smoldering passion for Rafe.

But when the snow clears, will the danger and secrets that surround Rafe and Maggie tear them apart?
Maggie wanted freedom, not a lover…

Oh, Lord. He was going to kiss her. She shouldn’t want this. She was confused enough. Respectable women didn’t kiss men they barely knew, certainly not men who made them have wild, exotic dreams.

It was crazy. He was making her want crazy things. Making her not give a damn about her reputation or her virginity. Or her long-awaited freedom. All she could think about was that dream, and the way his sinful mouth had felt. The table was only a step away, and honey was just as sweet as peach juice…

She swallowed hard and looked up into his hooded eyes.

“Maggie,” he groaned. “Don’t be scared. I’d never hurt you.”

Her mouth parted to object, but firm lips covered hers, hungry, demanding. She gasped, shocked at his hunger, but even more at the illicit response coursing through her. An aching heat unfurled low in her stomach, pulsed between her legs. Oh, yes. It started just like in the dream.

He deepened the kiss, coaxed her lips with his warm tongue. Long, languid strokes teased the inside of her mouth, encouraging, tempting before he pulled back to nibble the corners of her lips.

Oh, God. Is this what all kisses felt like? Hot, lethargic? Melting her like molasses over warm bread?

“Kiss me, Maggie,” he breathed.


24 comments:

Jennifer Jakes said...

Hi Vonnie -
Thanks so much for having me here today. I'll be in and out (taking kids to dentists) to visit with your readers *waves*, and to look at Alex O's chest -- I mean to answer any questions.;) LOL

AJ Nuest said...

Well, you said my two favorite words, "Alex O'Laughlin". Right up there with "Buy One Get One" and "Free Gift with Purchase." Congrats on all your contest wins, my friend. I didn't know that. How awesome are YOU! I can't wait to read your next novels. Get those done, already, would ya? Love your blog, Vonnie! Hugs to you both!

Melinda said...

What a great post. I am fixing to enter my first contest. Your books are on my must read list...Love the cover

Walk in harmony,
Melinda

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Jennifer, thanks for being my guest today. AJ, it's always great hearing from you. Melinda, much success in your first contest. Now, I need coffee. I overslept this morning; too much reading till the wee hours. One of the perks of retirement, and I laugh as I say that for I'm working more hours a day now on my writing and self-promotion than I ever did on an outside job. But it's a great life. I wouldn't have it any other way. Now...coffee..

Mary Campisi said...

Oh Vonnie - I'll bet those are milk chocolate hearts - solid, too. Yum. Sadly, I gave up all chocolate November 16, 2010 after a 3 day migraine...because I could not behave myself and only eat a 'little' bit. Apparently, a quarter of a chocolate fudge bundt cake, okay maybe a little more, was too much! Now, I only look at chocolate and sniff it- but oh, how I miss it!

Jennifer's post was great, as usual, the excerpt delicious, and the cover is gorgeous. Speaking of gorgeous, I watched Hawaii 5-0 for that very reason, or should I say Alex? Another great-looking Aussie, along with Hugh Jackman . . .
Thanks for the post - and Vonnie, thanks for the chocolate rush!
Mary

J D Elliott said...

Hi Vonnie and Jennifer -

Wonderful interview, ladies. I too watch Hawaii 5-0 for Alex. He melts my butter for sure. Oh and Jen, so does Rafe...purrrrr. I'm definitely ready for another great read from you, friend. Thanks for sharing, ladies, and have great day!

HUGS,
JD :)

Alison Henderson said...

Hi ladies! Great post, Jennifer. (Love the photo, of course) I can't write a quick first draft either, though sometimes I envy those who can. At least it makes the final edits much quicker. Congrats on all the success with Rafe!

Anonymous said...

Great post, ladies...loved the question/answer and the excerpt...hot!

Lynne Marshall said...

Loved the interview, Vonnie and Jennifer. It's always great to get to know a writer a bit better.

I guess insomnia has an upside? (this gives me hope)

Lynne Marshall

Calisa Rhose said...

"Kiss me Maggie." Gettin a little steamy in here, and Alex...ooh-la-la!

Jill James said...

What a scorching excerpt. And speaking of scorching.....Alex, yummmmmm!

LaVerne Clark said...

Phew! What an excerpt - and I love the scenario Maggie finds herself in. Looking forward to reading more!

Jennifer Jakes said...

Hi AJ -
Yes, lovin' me some Alex ;) And strangely enough I like him with his short (Hawaii) hair better than his long (Moonlight) hair. This is very odd for me b/c I always love a man who looks a little scruffy and mussed. LOL
Thanks so much.
Hugs!!

Jennifer Jakes said...

Melinda-
BEST of luck with your first contest! How exciting! Glad you enjoyed what you read of RAFE. Thanks so much for stopping by today! :)

Jennifer Jakes said...

Mary -
Oooh, yes. Hugh Jackman. Yum. And I swear I could listen to an Aussie talk all day. I watched an interview with Alex O, and he didn't "drop" his accent........drool. Oh, where was I? HA
Thanks for stopping by today! :)

Jennifer Jakes said...

Hi JD - :)
Thanks for stopping by! *melts your butter* Oh, yeah, I couldn't agree more! LOL I even watched The Backup Plan (w/ Jen Lopez) just to see Alex. The movie was not good -- except he was shirtless and sweaty and on a tractor so I liked it. HA HA
Hugs!

Jennifer Jakes said...

Hi Alison -
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who can't do the quick draft. Makes me feel like a weirdo during NaNo and JaNo months. HA
Thanks so much for stopping by today! :)

Jennifer Jakes said...

Hi Tess-
Thanks for stopping by! Glad you liked the blurb/excerpt ;) Yes, Rafe is a hot one......LOL *waggles eyebrows*

Jennifer Jakes said...

Hi Lynne-
Insomnia: Yes, it's great for plotting. LOL With everyone else asleep, it's a great time to get ideas on paper/screen. Maybe I should start telling my writer friends to "not" sleep well. It would be like that whole "break a leg" that actors use. HA
Thanks for stopping by today!

Jennifer Jakes said...

Hi Calisa -
Oh, yes, Rafe is a naughty boy. HA But Maggie is just the girl to keep him in line.
Thanks for stopping by today:)

Barb H said...

Hi Jennifer,
Had to drop by to say Hi to you and Rafe and Maggie. (And Alex, too :>) Sounds like I'd better rent The Backup Plan. Love your book, of course, and I can't wait for the next one.

Jennifer Jakes said...

Hi Jill -
I even have a couple of shots of Alex as inspiration for my Alaska novel. He's the image I'm using for the hero in that story. *sigh* My desktop is such a happy place - all the pics of my Man Candy Monday men and then Alex..... LOL
Thanks for stopping by today!

Jennifer Jakes said...

Hi LaVerne -
Oh, thanks!! I'm thrilled you liked the blurb/excerpt :)
And ANYONE wanting one of my Romance Trading Cards of RAFE can email me and I'll send them one. authorjenniferjakes@hotmail.com
Thanks, LaVerne for stopping by today! :)

Vonnie Davis ~ Romance Author said...

Jennifer, thanks for being a fabulous guest. Keeping my fingers crossed for great book sales for you. Write on!!!