Blog by VONNIE DAVIS -- International, Award-Winning Romance Author: Adventurous...Humorous...Amorous.

Friday, April 6, 2012

Memories of Spring

I think we all have special memories of Spring and Easter celebrations. For me, growing up in the fifties and sixties, Easter was a time of strict religious celebrations--and a new Easter outfit complete with hat and white gloves. As my own children were growing up, the big thing was the Easter baskets filled with chocolate delights, jelly beans and marshmallow bunnies and peeps. A toy or two and a couple outfits added to the Easter gift.

I miss the hiding of the Easter baskets and the egg hunts. I miss the stuffed animals and live bunnies. Can't say I miss the artificial green grass strewn everywhere. Or the half-eaten hard-boiled eggs we had so much fun coloring. But I do miss the excitement the kids exuded. Those days are gone, too, since my three children are grown with kids of their own to make Easter baskets for. Even so, I still love Spring and that sense of re-birth, not only in religious circles but in nature.

There's something breathtaking about trees in full-bloom. Here in Lynchburg there are Bradford Pear trees planed along Main Street and many of the roads. When they're blooming, their fragrance adds a delicate sweetness to the air. In a word, they're gorgeous as are the Dogwoods, Magnolias and Red Bud trees.

Although I love daffodils and tulips, I confess to loving hyacinths the best. Their heady fragrance spells Spring to me. My favorite color, of course, is purple.
I want to wish you all a Happy Easter and a Joyous Spring. Thanks for visiting Vintage Vonnie from time to time. I cherish your readership. In closing, I leave you with one final thought...


No comments: