Blog by VONNIE DAVIS -- International, Award-Winning Romance Author: Adventurous...Humorous...Amorous.

Thursday, December 23, 2010

A Phone with a Smart Allecky App

I just saw a Google executive interviewed on Nightline regarding Google's new phone and its apps. Folks, remember when you used a phone to call home? Or to call your BFF? Now it has a GPS--in 3-D, no less. There's an app to scan the bar code of a product, after which the phone tells you where in your area you can buy said product cheaper. Of course you can check your email and twitter and post to facebook. Watch a movie. Read a book. Play a game. Listen to your fav tunes. And if you point the phone at something, it'll tell you what that item is.

This app is touted as being useful when you shop--as if one has no clue what they're looking at in a store. Sorry folks, but if you need a phone to tell you what an item on the shelf is, you probably don't need it. In the Nightline interview, they showed a person in an art museum, pointing the phone at a painting. The phone identified the artwork, artist, medium, when and where it was painted and any other pertinent information. Amazing, huh?

The whole episode got me thinking. Would such a phone--one that identified whatever "it" saw--be a good idea for me?

Everytime I'd put the phone next to my mouth to call home to Calvin, the phone would say, "False teeth." If I'd stick it my purse, it would start listing items: migraine medicine, old receipts, empty wallet, snotty tissues and Preparation H. For sure, I couldn't stick it in my pants' pocket. The dratted thing would say, "Cottage cheese thighs, a product of three-thousand four-hundred twenty-nine pizzas, one thousand eight-hundred seventy packs of Oreos and more chocolate bars than a sane person should ever eat."

Frankly I can't see this Android phone doing much to help my self-image.

I try to stay up to date with technology. Really I do. I mean, I can push a button with the best of 'em. But when I have to text my grandson to ask him how to use my pretty new pink phone, and I can see his eyes roll in disbelief over my ignorance on the screen of said pink phone, I know I'm an old woman in a brand new world. And we all know whatever is new today is old tomorrow...whereas I'll be old forever.
~~~~~~~~~
This will be my last post before the holidays. Thanks for stopping by and MERRY CHRISTMAS to you all. May your Christmas be full of love, hugs, laughter and prayers for our troops overseas. Blessings to all.

4 comments:

Rachel Lynne said...

LOL! I DO NOT need a phone like that!
Contact me Vonnie, you won a copy of Ring of Lies! rachel@rachellynneauthor.com

Amy said...

So funny! Had me laughing out loud!

Anonymous said...

Absolutely too true! It would wreak havoc on our self-esteem, lol!

Candace J Carter said...

Made me laugh! I'm checking my phone to make sure that app is not included.